Saturday, October 13, 2007

To sing, or not to sing . . . that is the question!

Okay, family discussion that I need to share. Our family usually will call other family members (aunts, uncles, grandmas, grandpas, etc.) on their birthdays and sing "Happy Birthday." Sometimes we forget, but that is our typical traditional celebratory birthday call. Well, this week we had 5 birthdays: 2 aunts, 2 cousins, and 1 uncle. A few nights back, I mentioned that we needed to make a call and sing to the newest birthday celebrant. Well, Jerel suggested that it's probably about time that we forgo that "tradition" because now that our kids are older--it's not so cute anymore. He actually said something like "When Chase is 18, we're still going to make the call and sing?" He also mentioned that it's kind of "lame" for us to still do it.

So now I am at a loss. We didn't sing, but didn't have time to get cards out in time either. So now we have to come up with our own "new tradition" of celebrating family members' birthdays--and QUICK! We can't do the favorite candy bar because Megi and Ty cornered the market on that one. Lindy and Jonathan do the whole $2 bill thing--although I have yet to receive one myself. :) We could go back to singing and then make our now belatedly "lame" singing telegram via phone once more. Oh, decisions, decisions.

I guess I just love the singing because Nanny and Grandpa used to call me every birthday and sing to me--and now my mom and Randy carry on the same tradition. It makes me happy! Of course, once someone has heard our family sing--voice changes, kabooms, and all--it might not instill that same level of happiness. So to sing, or not to sing . . . that is the question!

5 comments:

Shannon said...

I vote "to sing." I love that phone call. I always have that to count on and I would be sad if it stopped. I don't care how it sounds or what sound effects there are...it makes me smile every birthday. So I say keep at it! :)

Rinez said...

I say "SING." It far from lame and it's "TRADITION." Please, please Jerel, don't let us fall off the roof! We all love the singing!

Rinez said...

don't want to tell you what to do only it's your family & whatever you chose,that will be fine. i kind of like it cause i can hear my son sing-regardlessof his age. but you do what you like & i'll like it. love, dad

Janel said...

We all so enjoyed the singing for Ty's birthday while we were in Cali! Keep it up!

Lindy said...

we also enjoy the singing!