Friday, March 27, 2009

The lesson for today is.....

For the past couple months, Camille and I have had the pleasure of teaching Trevor's primary class (6-7 year olds) on a pretty regular basis due to some work and medical issues with his regular primary teachers. I really enjoy these opportunities especially teaching kids at this age. If I ever were to become a school teacher, 1st or 2nd grade would probably be my thing. The kids still think you're pretty cool and are impressed by the simple things of life. However, they can also be brutally honest - not necessarily a bad thing as it often helps to keep me humble.

Case in point: we were teaching the lesson a few weeks back and the kids had paid attention and were doing great. For the last few minutes of class, the kids were coloring a picture that related to the lesson. I was going around and checking on their progress. One of the girls in the class asked me a question and I proceeded to answer her. She looked very intently at me and seemed to be taking it all in. When I finished, she looked at me and very matter-of-factly stated, "Your breath stinks." Excellent - just the response I was looking for.

Makes me wonder what she told her parents after church when they asked what she learned in Primary today: "Ummm, that my teacher needs to get some breath mints!"

4 comments:

Bernadine said...

Jerel, that is hilarious. When we meet you in April, remind me to tell you about when Johanna was 12, in YW, and told everyone I used the F-WORD all the time. Well I had never said it in my life. I did say "freak". Stopped that right away too.

Cherilee said...

I totally laughed out loud on this one. It brought back memories about an experience I had several years ago when my 13 yr old was two. At that time I was working full time and I came home from work and went in to change out of my scrubs when she looked at me and said, "Oh mom! You need to exercise!

Bonnie said...

Great Story! I love kids and how you never know what they are going to say.

MegiJones said...

That is really funny...I'm glad you shared!!