Saturday, February 16, 2008

You wore THAT in the 80's?!?

I know that this happened last month, but it's too much fun not to post. My good friend Natalie had a New Year's Eve Party. She thought it would be fun to add a twist--she made it an ugly sweater party. Concidentally enough, I had been cleaning out the garage earlier and found a forgotten box of sweaters. I had saved them with the idea of "Well, I'll need these so I can have something warm to wear when I visit Utah." I boxed them up when I moved to warm Arizona, and promptly forgot about them.

Opening the box was like opening a time capsule from some ancient civilization. They were all sweaters that I wore in high school and college. Not only was it fun to reminisce, but I couldn't believe how UGLY they were. I about peed my pants laughing at HOW ugly some of them were. The scary thing is that they were once in style. They had ended up in the DI (Deseret Industries/Goodwill) pile until Natalie called about the dress code for the party. I immediately pulled some out to wear and shared with a few friends too. What I want to know is "Why does my sweater have an arrow on it and what is it pointing to?" And no, it is not a maternity sweater, even though it makes me look pregnant.

We had a contest that night and the winner got the sweater that I am wearing below that says 1st place. Yes, I wore that in high school too. And no, I don't know why I have a sweater that says 1st place. And yes, it too was in style back then. lol The winner is shown below; that's our friend Matt. I think the thing that made his the winner sweater was how well it fit him. Don't you think it really shows off his physique? And no, his sweater is NOT one of mine. He got his at Goodwill. I would also like to add that Jerel's is one of his own sweaters. He apparently also had great fashion sense in the 80's.

The kids couldn't believe we wore things like that. Chase just was looking at the pictures as I was doing this post and said, "You wore that in the 80's on purpose? I'm glad I didn't live in the 80's." I told him it was all about bright colors, shoulder pads and leggings. To really appreciate the sweaters, you have to picture me with BIG bangs--actually just BIG hair--and maybe even crimped. I tried to tell him I was really in style in high school. I don't think he believed me. I loved the 80's! Chase you don't know what you are missing!

5 comments:

Shannon said...

Ah, the 80's. I was very young through them, but I remember them well and the things we did in elementary school to be in fashion. The layered socks, the rolling of the pants, the neon colored shoe laces, the feathered bangs, tucked in shirts bloused out and on and on. Loved it!

Rinez said...

What a fun idea! Those sweaters are something else and so funny. I think you've got Bill Cosby beat!

MegiJones said...

Wow...you wore that!?!? You guys are OLD! j/k :)

Jenn Fort Haderlie said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Bonnie said...

I remember. We had matching mother and daughter sweaters (like the one with the arrow). I loved that sweater. It was one of my favorites to wear; I thought it had such pretty colors. Sadly, it got worn out because I wore it so much. I never thought about it until I saw the picture of Camille wearing it and then I thought, too, "What is that arrow pointing to? I personally think that it should have won the ugly sweater contest. What a fun idea for a party!