Saturday, June 14, 2008

Our lovebug Shannon

I know we're not the best on doing regular posts, but the last couple weeks we've been preoccupied with some health problems that Jerel's sister, Shannon, is having. She was born with cystic fibrosis that led her to need two lung transplants. The second transplant was from living donors. Her husband (Paul) and a cousin (Mica) each donated lobes from their lungs and successfully saved her life. We have seen many miracles in her life. Now we are hoping for another.

She developed a serious form of fungal infection in her sinuses called mucormycosis. Most people are exposed to this fungus on a daily basis, but people with immune disorders are left vulnerable to this type of infection. This type of infection is extremely invasive and can spread quickly. The only effective treatment is surgery to clean out the infection and removal of the dead tissue left behind by the fungus, and by taking anti-fungal medications. Shannon has had 5 surgeries in the last two weeks, and unfortunately the infection spread to her left eye so they had to remove it on Wednesday. We have also recently found out that the infection has spread to part of her brain in an area which is too risky to operate on. What this means is that they will continue to remove as much infection from her eye socket and sinus area as they can and hope that the anti-fungal medications take care of the rest.

There is still hope! We just need to pray and fast a lot. Now I'm praying for the anti-fungal meds to work like they are supposed to. Our family fasted for her last Sunday and as we broke our fast, Chase said the prayer. He was very in tune with the Spirit and asked for things that I might not have thought to ask for Shannon. He continually asked in our prayer to bless Shannon that she would feel peace, comfort, no stress, calm, our family's love, no worries, Heavenly Father's love, blessed, etc. He must have asked about 10 different ways for her to feel calm. Shannon has felt a calming, peaceful influence this time in the hospital, which we are all grateful for. She and her sweet husband, Paul, are very much at peace with everything. Paul has written about it on their blog which you can read by clicking here.

I have included some of my favorite pictures of Shannon and Paul. Some of them were taken (by my friend Mary) a few years ago, the very weekend that they got engaged. The other ones are from their wedding. I LOVE how they capture just how beautiful she is, and their sweet love that they feel for each other. They truly are a perfect match for each other.






I struggled a lot with wavering faith after Randy died, but now I feel more . . . faithful. (I don't know how to say it better than that.) I'm learning that faith is not just a wish or hope, it is having faith in the Lord Jesus Christ and trusting Him more. It is knowing there is a plan, and that He is very aware of our needs and loves us all. I feel His love and comfort and peace again in my life. It was always there, I just had to let Him wrap His arms around me. I am going to continue to follow the counsel that Elder Bednar gave in our last general conference and pray for understanding. I know that God lives, and I'm trying to trust in the plan that He has for us. I just wish I knew what it was, so that I could understand better why things like this have to happen. I just have to rely on the fact that the gospel is true and Heavenly Father loves me--even when things don't turn out the way I want them too. In fact, He loves all of us!

7 comments:

Mary said...

My prayers are with Shannon and her fmily.

Bonnie said...

This was a very nice tribute to Shannon. She looks really cute and happy in all of these pictures. She has been in my prayers for several days.

laurie said...

She IS beautiful! I'm so sorry your family has gone through so much lately, I can't even imagine. Of course we would love to keep her and you in our prayers. Let me know if there's anything.

Amy Ras said...

What a wonderful thing to be surrounded by such a good, strong family. It really is all of your faith and prayers that will see them through this. Our prayers are with them, too.

Dee said...

I am sorry to hear about Shannon's plight. She will be in our prayers! -And so will you. All our best!

bebe said...

Dear family,
Dang! What else can I say? I am holding out great hope and faith for you and your family. Miracles can happen and do. I'm not sure if you heard about the 17 year-old Utah girl that was in a 4 wheeler accident, was in a coma for weeks without medical hopes, and she totally came out of it a few days ago!! It sounds like Shannon is a great fighter with amazing strength and attitude!
Please feel our love now and know how much we care for you and about what you are going through.
Jen (and all) :)

TeamGornold said...

I know I am leaving this comment late, hopefully you will see it. I am so dang sorry about what you all are forced to deal with right now.
I hope you are all finding strength and ways to cope!
Love
Shirt and B