Friday, December 12, 2008

I love my action figures

This month Trevor came up to me with a worried look on his face. "Mom," he said, "are you going to get out your action figures this year?"

"What action figures?" I asked him.

"You know--the ones you always get out." he explained.
I must have still looked confused because he then went on to say, "You know--Jesus, Joseph--THOSE guys!"

Oh, of course--my action figures. "Oh, yes," I told him. "I always put out the nativity scenes." He was very relieved after that. I guess since I was behind on getting my Christmas decorations out, that he figured I wouldn't be getting out my "action figures." I told him that the most important decorations of all at Christmas time are my "action figures."
(I have a few nativity sets, but this is the one my mom gave me. The building on the right is the inn and the inn keeper looking very solemn as he says "no room")

This was started as a short little blurb, but this now reminds me of when Trevor was younger. He used to rearrange the nativity scenes all day long. Sometimes everyone would be gathered in the stable all around the baby Jesus, other times the baby Jesus would be all by himself (and even outside the stable at times), one time the wise men were fighting the shepherds, and sometimes they were all laying down sleeping (Trevor said they had a war and were dead--I prefer to say they were tired and sleeping.) My favorite was when Trevor would put all the animals--and only the animals--all crowded around the baby Jesus. It seemed so sweet to me. "Everyone loves Jesus" you know.

p.s. While I was trying to find a picture of Trevor playing with the nativity scenes, I stumbled across this picture from a few years ago. Every year Jerel's parents send an advent calendar for the boys to share. You know the kind--you open a little window every day and there's a little piece of chocolate inside. Well, this is the year that Trevor ate all of the candy at one time on like the 3rd day. Look how sad his face was when he realized how disappointed his brothers were going to be. I couldn't resist posting this picture because he still looks so cute!

8 comments:

Rinez said...

Your Trevor stories are just the best! Keep them coming!

Catrina said...

Cute story. I love it! Action Figures...that's great. Your nativity set is beautiful.

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

This brings such memories. I have one nativity scene made of plastic so it can be played with. When Elizabeth was around baby Jesus spent his time on top of a wise man's head and the cat spent it's time in the cradle. When the grandkids are here I sometimes have to "frisk" them to retrieve baby Jusus. And they, too, put everyone to bed. I didn't know that they could be DEAD! Yikes.

Bonnie said...

Trevor says the cutest things. I think that is great that he missed them and wanted you to put them out. Plus, I love how he kept rearranging them.

MegiJones said...

That is the saddest, sweetest picture!! What a cute boy!

laurie said...

Your 'action figures' are beautiful. I'm always looking for nativity sets. I have 5 and this year didn't even get them all out, "no room"...lol.

Nickie said...

The nativity was an action packed event! One year, Ethan was playing with my action figure of baby Jesus, and he had a truck, he was rolling at him and shouting, "look out Jesus!" Oh boys...
I love your sweet boys and your house looks adorable, all those cute stockings!
Love you guys!

Leslie said...

We love our Fisher Price "action figures" too!
Les.