Sunday, August 3, 2008

Happy birthday Aunt Charlene!


Charlene, me, and my mom

I am so glad I have this opportunity to tell my Aunt Charlene Happy Birthday--she just turned 70! Her kids had a big celebration for her up in Utah yesterday, but I wasn't able to attend. They put together a little scrapbook of memories as a special gift and I wanted to share a little bit of what I wrote to her. I just love my Aunt Charlene, and I have great memories from times we spent together. I loved going to her house to spend a month every summer as I was growing up. It was great having her family live up the street when I was in high school. I remember going over to her house every day after school. Having all those cousins around helped me feel like I had brothers and sisters.

One of my favorite memories of her is when I saw her sitting at the piano, with a pencil behind her ear, as she wrote a song. I love that she wrote a song—just for me—for my wedding. She is so extremely talented in music, and I have always been so proud of her music accomplishments. I get a big smile on my face every time I sing “zip-a-dee-ay and heigh-dee-ho.” (One of the reasons why I love this song is because she wrote it!! Aren't you all impressed now!?) I love that I got to sing with her recently and hear our voices blend, even though it was a sad time for all.

She is one of the kindest, sweetest people I know. Even though she always has a million people around her, she always makes sure I get individual attention from her. I know that she loves me and my family, and we love her.

I can’t think of a more appropriate thing to “sing” right now than:

“This month is such a special one; it’s birthday time for you.
We’d really like to celebrate your happy day with you.
Zip-a-dee-ay and heigh-dee-ho, here’s something we can do.
We’ll sing a song that we all know, Happy Birthday to you!”


Charlene is holding my mom

5 comments:

Bonnie said...

Would you please share my 2 blog entries about Charlene with your kids for family home evening? I think they would enjoy the umbrella/turn into glass story. Plus I want them to know more about their Aunt Charlene and also a little about my life when I was young. Thanks for writing about her on your blog, too.

Rinez said...

Lovely and fitting tribute!

Mary said...

How cool is that! And what is it about old pictures that makes them so great?

Nickie said...

How cute is that?
I'm the Primary chorister in our ward and I now declare that will be the one and only birthday song we will be singing for birthdays from now on! As long as I am in this calling, oh, we will sing zipa deeyay and heidi ho all the live long day!
That is all, over and out!

Angela said...

Can't wait to see you!