Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Randy Sorenson - father, grandpa, friend

It is with mixed emotion that I inform you of the passing of Randy Sorenson this past Sunday, April 6th. He was a young 62 years old but had fought valiantly against leukemia for the past year. Randy married Camille's mom Bonnie in July 2000 and was a fabulous addition to our family. Although we only were able to know him for a few short years, his witty and humorous personality along with his genuine concern and compassion endeared him to our family.

I say mixed emotion because I feel both sadness and a sense of peace and joy. I'm certain that Randy is happy to be rid of his ailing body. I know he had a happy reunion with his first wife whom he was married to for 29 years. I know that he's busy helping others, telling jokes, drawing light-hearted comics, or in some way tending to the needs of others. He always had time for my children and I can't remember a time when he was impatient with them. He showed a sincere interest in their lives and was always ready with a funny joke or story. He was an amazingly gifted artist and we all loved to see his creations. He went out of his way to make sure our family was comfortable when we would visit them in Utah. He loved to cook for us and fortunate for us, he was an excellent cook. Randy was the type of person you always look forward to seeing.

I am sad that he won't be around to lighten my load. I'm disappointed that my children will not be able to make more memories with him. I will miss observing and learning from his many Christ-like characteristics such as patience, service and humility. However, we have such good and fond memories of the time we did spend together and for that I am grateful. Randy was a blessing in the lives of our family and he had and will continue to have a profound and lasting effect upon our family. We are better for having known him and we will miss him. We love you Randy.

The drawing below was one that Randy did at my request for an Aaronic Priesthood camp. "Courage Under Fire" was the theme for the camp and the design was used for the camp t-shirts. Randy put a lot of thought into this design including not having Samuel with any weapons reasoning that Samuel would not be on the offensive but was a humble servant of God crying repentance to the people because of his love for them and obedience to God. He did this in spite of the danger and the fears he must have had. This is Courage.

6 comments:

Shannon said...

I am truly sorry for the loss of Randy. However, like you, I am happy that he is free from his sick body. It's all part of the great plan and we can take comfort in knowing that Randy has finished his test and now moves on to bigger and better things. My prayers and thoughts are with you all.

Lindy said...

I always struggle for the words to say during times like these. I am thinking of you all and pray that you will find peace. I love you!

Rinez said...

What a beautiful tribute you have paid to this special man in your lives. May the Lord bless your family with his peace and comfort and may the memories you have with Randy stay near and dear to your hearts. We love you all! Mom & Dad

Leslie said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm glad you can feel some relief and peace right now and that you know the plan of salvation. ((hugs))
Leslie

Nickie said...

Thank you so much for all your sweet comments about my dad. It really sucks that he's gone, but I feel a lot closer to you guys since this all happened, so there truly are blessing despite all the crap.
You guys are awesome, I totally love your family, and I know my dad did too. He always talked about your guys and your cute crazy boys! Thank you for accepting him and loving him so much, I know he would have done anything for you.
Love you guys!

Bonnie said...

Thanks for writing such a wonderful tribute to Randy. He always had so much fun with your boys. He always told everyone that we have 10 grandchildren. We both love all of them very much. The happiest I have ever seen Randy was when he was playing with the grandkids. He will always continue to be our "dream come true guy!" That's what I always used to call him.