Monday, May 5, 2008

Hiking the Wind Caves




Last month our ward had a family hike to the Wind Caves--just because it's beautiful and there's a lot of flowers blooming. Who says that the desert can't be beautiful?! We had a great time. We even brought Tynan, my nephew, along. It's too bad Chase couldn't be there. He was invited to go to the dunes as a reward for showing great leadership skills at the Aaronic Priesthood Camp last summer. Only four boys were asked to go, and the other three were Priests. Way to be a leader and make good choices Chase! He had a GREAT time!

The hike up to the caves and back is 3.2 miles. Those who want to hike up to the very top of the "mountain" can go a little bit more. Jerel hiked up with Jordan the first time. And then Jerel decided to come back down and run back up again. He did the hike twice, yep, twice. He's all into running now. Tanner and Tynan hiked up with the cub scouts that were going together as part of an activity badge. Trevor and I hiked up together. A couple times Trevor fell down (you can see a picture of his sad little face at one point), but he cheered up quickly and kept going. He was really proud of himself when we got to the top. Tynan and Jordan came back down with me and Trevor. Tanner hiked up to the VERY top with the scouts. Afterwards we got yummy juice and muffins. It was a ton of fun. The pictures below are all of us at the top by the wind caves.

3 comments:

laurie said...

That's awesome, where are the wind caves and how did you get all your pictures like that?

Rinez said...

Good job for everyone! I wish I loved running like Jerel seems to. Walking, yes! Running - I hate it when I can't breathe! I admire you, Jerel. And also am proud of all of you for hiking. What a great memory you made!

Nickie said...

You are right, the desert is beautiful! We will have to come and visit and you'll just have to take us there. I know your mom's coming down, I may have to call and talk to you all!