Monday, May 19, 2008

Roller Derby...it could happen!

Our family saw a news bit on ESPN about how Roller Derby was making a comeback. I had to explain to my kids and wife what Roller Derby was, how it was scored, and how it used to be the female version of professional wrestling. Apparently times have changed because the new and improved (how can something be both new and improved?) version of Roller Derby is completely real and doesn't have the staged plays like the former version contained.

Maybe Roller Derby should become a church sport for the women (since the men already have basketball for this sort of thing). Look at all the benefits: exercise, teamwork, creative costumes and stage names, something for the whole family to support, the list goes on and on. I mean what LDS woman hasn't secretly wanted to body check a neighbor or two into the railing at a roller rink! This could be a real win-win.

I suggested this to my wife and while I didn't get a verbal response, the look I received was sufficient for me to conclude, "Maybe not!"

7 comments:

Shannon said...

I'm with Camille...I don't think so.

Jenn Fort Haderlie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jenn Fort Haderlie said...

as long as im not the neighbor!

Rinez said...

You're such a great guy - always thinking of ways to help!

Camille said...

Hey, don't count me out yet, I was just starting to think of a good stage name!

Nickie said...

Oh, I've got one, I would be Snikvishis. That's also my band name on Guitar Hero.
I have seriously considered this as my new profession. I think I could take some of those twiggy girls. I don't know if it would go over well in the church, just cuz they'd have to change the gym to a roller rink and raise the sides and stuff, but I'm with you. Let me know how it goes, I could start the Boise branch.
You should change your title to "Roller Derby...it SHOULD happen!"

laurie said...

I had the greatest skate case when i was young, I could resurrect it! Count me in, I can still go backwards.