Friday, October 31, 2008

Can I have some church bread?

A few days ago, Trevor came running in after school and said, "MOM! Can I have some church bread!?!?" (If you can't tell, he was extremely excited about it.) I was kind of confused at first and asked "What bread?" He then repeated with even more excitement and emphasis, "CHURCH bread!" I then thought, "Of course, CHURCH bread, yeah, that clears everything up." :) As Trevor ran to get the bread, I realized what he meant.

On Sunday, Chase was assigned to bring the bread for the sacrament. Usually I use a loaf of the wheat bread that I have here at home. But all my bread had been in the freezer for a while and sometimes it doesn't thaw out as fresh as you would like. So Jerel and I stopped at the store to pick up a loaf on Saturday night. I just randomly picked a loaf of white bread which happened to be Wonder bread. So there you go--church bread is white bread full of lots of sugar and preservatives. So I replied, "Sure." Trevor was pretty excited and ready to go, but then Tanner was afraid to eat it. He explained that some kids at school told him that you can get cancer from eating white bread. Are you serious? I quickly cleared that up and explained that we eat white bread often, it's not going to give us cancer, whole grain bread is healthier for us, blah, blah, blah . . . Trevor and Tanner finished off the loaf in literally a few minutes. Apparently white bread is quite the novelty in our house. Who knew! Just think, all I have to do is give Trevor a loaf of Wonder bread for Christmas and I'm all good. Sounds Wonder-ful to me!

6 comments:

laurie said...

That's too funny. A friend of mine brought us a loaf of homemade wheat bread and my kids wondered why it was so dry and yucky. You have to admit, healthy or not, white is definitely more palatable than wheat. By the way, Whitley vowed to eat no candy tonight because she had eaten so much crap today as well. We'll see if she sticks to it.

Bonnie said...

Thanks for the cute story. You really should wrap up two loaves of white bread for Trevor and Tanner on Christmas. It sounds like they would really like it.

Angela said...

Oh yeah, white bread is a HUGE novelty in our house too! As it was in my house growing up. But with Great Harvest around the corner here, we are spoiled with yummy whole wheat bread!

Kristine said...

I think my kids would think the same thing! Maybe I will steal the idea and wrap up some "Church" bread for Christmas too!

Rinez said...

That's a great experience. Trevor just keeps things lively. I know store bought bread was always preferred at our house, too!

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

I wish I had known this secret years ago, it would have saved me a BUNCH of money!

"Hey, kids, guess what? Santa brought white bread!"

"Yay." they all shout. And then they make sandwiches and clean up after themselves and make thier beds without being asked, brush their teeth happily and other fairy tales.