Sunday, October 5, 2008

For the love of Shannon


Jerel's sweet sister, Shannon, passed away early this morning. I don't know what to say. I have so many thoughts and feelings. I have deep sadness and miss her already, and yet I am grateful that her suffering is over. I'm glad she has found the peace that her poor body needed. The last few months have been especially hard for her. This last week, test results showed that the same fungus that caused her to lose her sinuses and eye this summer, had now gone to her lungs. She fought as long and as hard as she could, and then some. Her suffering is now over and she is now with our Lord and Savior. I have imagined her reunion with Him all morning. What a joyous reunion that must have been! I find great peace in knowing she was at peace with the Lord's will. Her testimony was amazingly strong, and she is an amazing person. She will always be alive in our hearts. If you want to see just the sweetest messages written about her, you can click on the link to her blog on my family list. Her husband, Paul, is a true saint that not only blessed her life, but our whole family's. He saved her life in more than one way. What a great man he is. I'm honored to have both of them in my life.

Shannon made me want to be a better person. I was reading Shannon's blog yesterday and was touched by her example. Someone who she visiting teaches wrote a thank you for a letter that Shannon had sent her. It was sent just a few weeks ago. Here she is feeling the worst she has ever felt--ever--and she is still doing her visiting teaching. That's the kind of person she is. I really have no excuse to not get mine done. Just one of the many lessons that I have learned from Shannon and her example.

I'm so grateful that we all saw her this weekend at Boyce's wedding. We all loved seeing her. We had such a great time. I'm glad we got to sit by each other in the temple. We are a forever family. I have a true testimony of that because the Spirit has born witness of it's truthfulness to me. The picture of Jerel with Shannon is at Boyce's wedding last week. I love how alike they look--same hair, glasses, matching clothes. He is really missing her today. He sure loves his family.

I find great comfort in the words of our prophet today. I can feel of his love for us. It reminds me of the last general conference we had in April. Six months ago, early Sunday morning, I lost my step-dad Randy. I felt great comfort in Elder Bednar’s talk that day. It feels as if the prophet and leaders are speaking directly to me. I know the Lord loves me; He loves all of us!

5 comments:

laurie said...

So sorry for your loss. You guys have been through a lot this last year. I'm so happy that you haven't let it bring you down, but that your testimony stays strong and true. How amazing that they both died on conference weekend. Our prayers are with your family, love you tons.

Nickie said...

I was just thinking, how strange it is that in the middle of both general conferences this year, this would happen.
I'm so sorry for your loss, what a sweet girl. I love the picture of her and Jerel, what a treasure that will always be. Please give yourselves big hugs from me, and know how sorry I am. I'm glad you could find comfort in our Prophet's words today, he's so cool.
Hang in there, we're praying for you, and thinking of you all.
Again, I'm so sorry.
Much love.

Bonnie said...

I loved what you wrote. Shannon was a great example to us all. I also felt like the speakers at this conference were talking just to me. Nothing is more important than sharing love and letting people know how much we care, so I just you to know how much I love you. You are all so important to me.

I loved it when Pres. Monson said, "Never let a problem to be solved be more important than a person to be loved."

Leslie said...

When it rains it pours, huh? I'm sorry. ((Hugs)) and prayers for you and your family.
Les.

Kristine said...

What a year you have been through. Thank you for sharing your sister-in-law with us! I have been blessed through your sharing. You will be in our prayers. I am so sad to hear that she is not here anymore, but happy that she is out of pain. Thank you for sharing your testimony of Eternal life! We send our love!