Monday, September 22, 2008

Sometimes it sinks in

You know how us moms always feel like we are telling our kids the same stuff over and over again? It seems like I am forever repeating instructions. In fact, while I am typing this I had to yell to Trevor who just ran out of the bathroom, "Come back here and flush the toilet please." (Funny side note that I didn't expect. When Trevor came back to flush, he said, "This is the worst day of my life." When I asked, "Why?" He responded, "Because you make me come back and do stuff." lol Oh, the drama.)

Anyways, when Tanner and Trevor came home from school today, Trevor asked if he could have a cookie. I said "sure." Apparently he asked if he could have two. I didn't hear him and didn't answer. When Trevor tried to take two, because "I didn't say no." Tanner stopped him and said, "No. Mom didn't say you could have two. If you ask her a question and she doesn't answer, it probably means she didn't hear you and you have to ask her again. It doesn't mean yes."

I overheard the last part of what Tanner said, and when I asked him to repeat himself, I was so impressed. It finally sunk in, "If Mom doesn't answer, it means she didn't hear you and you need to ask her again." What a novel idea! lol What a good big brother Tanner is to teach this valuable insight to Trevor. I think he deserves two cookies for that--don't you?

5 comments:

laurie said...

I'm still waiting for that moment. My kids are still at the "but he did it" stage and I still have to remind them that someone else's poor behavior doesn't excuse yours! My kids would have all had two.

Boyce said...

Its because you're such good parents! Patient persistence pays off! Good job Tanner!

Bonnie said...

I think he deserves 3 cookies because he NEVER gave me one bit of trouble or drama when I was there tending them. I love you, Tanner.

Rinez said...

Tanner is growing up! He's got terrific parents who persever. Good job everybody!

Kristine said...

Wow! Can I bring my kids to your house and have them teach them that lesson!