Friday, January 30, 2009

First runner up


Tanner competed in the School spelling bee again. There were 20 kids competing. Each 4th, 5th, and 6th grade class sends 2 representatives to compete in the "finals." Tanner was his classroom's winner. The winner of the School then goes on to compete in the district competition. One time during the competition, they asked another speller to spell the word "sequin," Tanner looked at me in the audience and smiled. That is the word he messed up last year and he for sure knows how to spell it now. He did very well, this year and spelled 11 words correctly before making a mistake. When he misspelled his word in the 12th round, there were only 3 spellers left. But all 3 kids got their words wrong and so they all got to stay and try again. The next round someone messed up and that left only 2 kids--Tanner and Dean. It went back and forth between these 2 for several more rounds. One of the kids would misspell a word and then the kid who got one right would have to spell one more word correctly to win. Then that kid would misspell his "winning" word and it would start the round over. Tanner eventually got out-spelled on round 22. There were some hard words at the end of the competition, and I was impressed that both Tanner and Dean did so well since they are both 5th graders. I'd write some of the words they got wrong but I don't know how to spell some of them myself. I'm so proud of him that he made it to 2nd place. The teacher in charge said he made it as "First runner up" because she thinks that sounds better. Good job Tanner!


The final two! At the end they shook each other's hands.
It was great!

7 comments:

KG said...

Something about these Campbell kids....they all look so much alike! I thought this was a picture of Riley when I first glanced at it! Way to go Tanner!!!

Rinez said...

We are so proud of Tanner! Keep working hard on that spelling and who knows what next year will bring!!!

Cherilee said...

Tell Tanner congratulations for his accomplishments-- more important congratulate him on his dedication for studying these words. I know it takes hours and therefore only the top dedicated students and awesome parents can really see how deserving he is of this! Way to go tanner!

Bonnie said...

Congratulations Tanner! You are one terrific kid who is very bright and also has a great work ethic. I am so proud of you.

MegiJones said...

Good job, Tanner!! I can definitely relate to being in spelling bees as I did it often at your age. I think I got 4th place when I was in 5th grade, so you're already way ahead of me!! Study hard and we'll get to watch you on ESPN!!! Love ya!!

Bernadine said...

Wow, what a bright young man. Smart like his parents.

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

Good for him. Tanner, tanner, he's the man, if he can't do it no one can. Well, almost no one. Congratulations to such a great speller and a great kid, too.

I had to chuckle when you said you'd post some of the words but you didn't know how to spell them. When I am looking up something on Google almost ALWAYS it says, "Did you mean..." ane then it spells the word right.