Friday, December 21, 2007

Dan Fogelberg - Music Memories


Last Thursday night, I went whitetail deer hunting with my good friend Mason Davis. I did not have a tag for this hunt so I was merely along for company and the thrill of the hunt. We had a great time hiking the mountains around Wilcox, Arizona and saw approximately 30 deer (although 12 of them were mule deer). When we were headed home on Saturday evening, we got listening to some music and testing each other's music knowledge. It was fun to remember groups and artists from the past and we found it interesting the memories and emotions that certain songs bring back.

Therefore, I was shocked and saddened to hear that Dan Fogelberg passed away on Sunday after a three-year battle with prostate cancer. He was 56. He won no Grammys and left a modest musical legacy. However, I find that I have been thinking about him and his music quite a bit this week.

My roommate in college my freshman year was a big Fogelberg fan and I quickly latched on to his dulcet songs including "Leader of the Band," which was a poignant tribute to his father, and "Same Old Lang Syne," a bittersweet Christmas Eve narrative. His music was clean and was infused with a tenderness that is often frowned upon. While Dan Fogelberg will certainly be missed, I'm glad he shared his talents with us and that I will always have his music and the past memories they conjure.

1 comment:

Rinez said...

Thank you for your thoughtful tribute to this man. Can't say that I know of him, but maybe if I heard his music, I would recognize it. I'm certainly interested in hearing it after your words.