Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Happy birthday Randy!

Today is Randy's birthday. I can't let this day go by without paying a little tribute to a man who made such an impact in my life. I can't believe he's gone. My step-dad Randy was the greatest guy. He always treated me like he was my real dad, and I was his real daughter. He filled holes in my life and heart. He always showed such love and concern for me, for my whole family—and actually for everyone. He was just a real genuine person.
I know he was only in my life for a short time, but he changed me for the better. He just had a loving way about him and EVERYONE who met him, loved him. My entire family loved him. My kids LOVE their Grandpa Randy. He always had time for my children, and I can't remember a time when he was impatient with them. He showed a sincere interest in their lives and was always ready with a funny joke or story or cartoon that he had just drawn (like a dinosaur riding a skateboard). That's why this is a great picture, because it shows his "full of life laugh," where he would tip his head back and laugh so jovially. It shows his fun personality. He had a great smile and sense of humor. We had so much fun telling stories about him at his funeral that many people came up to me afterwards and said they had never laughed(and cried) so hard at a funeral.
He brought so much happiness to us and especially my mom. And that's what makes this day even harder, because today is their anniversary too. He was the perfect husband to my mom. He was the man of her dreams and treated her like a queen. I know he loved you so much mom. I love you mom! Know that I am thinking about you all day today. (It feels weird to be writing in the past tense.)

I miss him!

p.s. I think I will watch cartoons all day in honor of him!
Or I was thinking I might make a cartoon character cake
for my family each year on his birthday--bugs, popeye, etc.

3 comments:

Bonnie said...

I think the cake idea would be a great thing to do. Hopefully you had time for cartoons today, too.
I love you, too, Camille, thanks for all the kind words.
I actually did watch a cartoon today. I took Dana to see Kung Foo Panda. Losing Randy has been really hard on her, too.

bebe said...

NICE WORK!! I think the cake idea is cool although I would turn most cartoon characters into a Picasso-esque representation of what they should be. Thanks for being part of us!! Steve

Rinez said...

A beautiful tribute to a very good man. Someday, you'll all be together again. That's a powerful, beautiful principle that is true.