Monday, July 28, 2008

Hey Rocky!

Chase decided to play football for his junior high (9th grade) this year instead of playing soccer for one of the local soccer clubs. It's his first time playing football, but he seems to enjoy it so far. He went to the local high school's football camp a couple weeks ago. It's a week long and they go someplace a lot cooler than here. From what I hear, it's pretty tough and they have 4 practices a day. Yep, that's right FOUR!! Chase texted me the first day that he was "tired, but he would be able to work through it." Good job Chase.

Then a couple days later, Chase texts me and asks, "Did you get the pictures?" I called him back and asked what pictures he was talking about. He proceeds to tell me that they were doing a "brutal" towel fighting drill where two kids hold on to each end of a towel and the goal is to get the other person to let go by doing anything you want (except headbutt and groin shots.) Oh, good, I'm glad there's safety rules. lol Yeah right. Apparently Chase beat this one kid in like two seconds, and so they did a rematch. The second time the kid accidentally headbutted Chase in the face and gave him a HUGE black eye. (Chase made a point to tell me that he beat the kid the second time too.) My friend Cyndi was up there visiting for the day and saw this happen and took pictures with her phone. A few hours later I get a phone call from her. She says, "If I send you a picture on your phone, you have to promise not to whack out." I told her that I had heard from Chase about it and that he said it wasn't too bad. She then told me that his eye was swollen shut, AND that his cheek swelled up so big that they thought he might have broken his cheek bone. Here's the picture she sent; you can kind of see how big his cheek is.

After hearing how bad it was from Cyndi, I called Chase and told him that we thought he was a pretty tough kid to feel and look like that and not really complain. This is how he looked when he got home. Not so bad anymore. It sure got a lot of comments when we showed up at church. I told him that every time someone asked "What happened?" that he should make up a different story. He could say he fell down the stairs during an earthquake, got in a fight with circus clowns, was capturing a wild cougar and got hit by a tree branch, you know, stuff like that.

6 comments:

Shannon said...

Ouch!! That looks more painful than my missing eye. Way to be tough Chase!

Rinez said...

Oh, my Chase! Glad he won the 2nd time, too!

Bonnie said...

Hey Chase! I am so proud of you. Are you still practicing to be a kicker, or are you interested in other positions, too. I love watching football, I just wish I could come to all of your games.

Matt Ras said...

WTF(flip)?

MegiJones said...

Dude that is awesome. Way to be, Chase! I'm sad we won't get to see any games this year. We miss you!!

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

Wow, how manly. Rugged and manly. He should paint a black eye on when this one is gone.